We have found some epic pictures from roller skating throughout the years. What are your favorite memories surround roller skating? Many people remember racing friends or siblings down hills, streets, or around a cul-de-sac while on roller skates. Even with helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads you probably got your fair share of cuts and bruises.
- Choose a venue with built-in entertainment – Why worry about coming up with games or booking performers when you can host a party with the entertainment built right in? Our Odenton roller skating parties are a hit with groups of all ages, from small gatherings to blowout birthdays.
- Give your guests plenty of notice – 3-4 weeks is standard for casual events, but if your party is going to take place around a holiday weekend, send invitations a little earlier. If you wait too close to the date, your guests may already have plans.
- Go the extra mile with a theme – Who doesn’t love a theme party? If you’re planning a skate party here at Wheels, you can’t go wrong with a retro roller disco party. 70s, 80s, or 90s costumes are easy for guests to pull together from their own closets or the local thrift store.
- Share the memories – Don’t let an Instagram-ready event pass without some great photos to remember it by! Create a hashtag like #LeslieKSweet16 or #RonTurns50 and make sure to print it on the invitations, tell your guests, and even make some signs to put on the party tables. That way they can tag their pictures of the event and you can see all the fun moments in one place.
So the next time you’re planning a party and need a fun and original Odenton party venue, we’ve got you covered at Wheels Skate Center. And even if you’re not planning a party, we have lots of upcoming Odenton events for you. Contact us at (410) 674-9661 for more information about planning a special event at Wheels Skate Center!
Valentine’s Day is almost here, and if you’re in a relationship you may be looking for date ideas. Whether on Valentine’s Day or any day, the best dates don’t depend on a big budget, fancy dress, or dozens of roses. What makes a date special is choosing something that will be memorable … which is why skate dates are a hit!
Avoid the Same Old Things
When looking for Odenton date ideas, avoid the same old tired of ideas. Dinner and a movie has been done to death. It’s simply not special anymore. Valentine’s Day dinner at a restaurant is always too crowded anyways. Often it’s expensive, it takes too long, there are too many people, and sometimes you even have to contend with a disappointing prix fixe menu.
Think Outside the Box
Instead of the same old same old, plan something original! A skating date at your local Odenton skating center is the perfect Valentine’s Day date idea.
Skating is a fun and unique activity, which many people haven’t done since they were kids. That means it’s a great way to add a little nostalgia to your night. A skating rink has the perfect atmosphere for a really romantic date. Just think of you and your special someone spending time together listening to your favorite romantic songs in a dark room full of beautiful twinkling lights while skating to the music. Skating is also a great excuse to hold hands!
We hope you have enjoyed some time with your families and are getting back into the daily routine. Our 2019 weekly routine has been updated and is up on our calendar.
Our activities include open skate, adult skate, dollar night, kid fun times and more. Every Tuesday is Adult Night, every Wednesday is Dollar Night, and Saturday mornings are when we hold our kid fun times. There are also special events, classes and more throughout the month, so make sure to check back.
We also have a licensed before and after school childcare program that opens at 6:15 a.m. and closes at 6:15 p.m. If you are interested in more information on our childcare program, please contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions.
We also have great birthday and group party rates for 2019! So whether you are trying to find something different for your child’s birthday or you want a fun, carefree Mother’s Night Out, we have options for everyone.
If you or your child wants to pick up a fun new hobby, we are offering skate classes through 2019. We have weekly classes as well as drop ins. If your New Year’s resolution was to pick up a new hobby or try something new, classes are only $5.00 per person, so there is no excuse not to drop by.
Whatever the occasion or just an excuse to get out of the house, Wheels Skate Center is ready to join in on the fun. We are ready to roll through 2019 with you, so skate on over and see what we have to offer this year.
So it’s a new year and you’re looking to start exercising more, or maybe you’re looking to make exercising more fun. What better way to have a good time and get moving than to start roller skating at Wheels Skating Center in Odenton, Maryland?
Roller Skating Has Amazing Physical Health Benefits
- Cardio – Roller skating is a sure way to get your heart pumping and is much more exciting than going for a jog on the treadmill or hitting the elliptical. As a form of aerobic exercise, roller skating increases circulation and heart strength, improves overall heart and lung health, reduces the risk of certain diseases. It’s also easier on the joints than many other forms of cardiovascular exercise.
- Strengthening Arm and Leg Muscles – Because roller skating takes a lot of work from both your arms and your legs, it strengthens them. Pick up a pair of skates and you’ll be toned in no time!
- Improving Balance and Coordination – You may be familiar with the initial uncertainty about your balancing abilities the first time you put on your roller skates, but here’s the great news: the more you practice roller skating, the easier it gets because roller skating improves your balance and coordination skills.
In addition to a new entertaining way to keep fit, here’s an easy trail mix recipe that would be a tasty pre or post-rollerskating snack:
Personalized Trail Mix
A great way to get some extra protein in your diet is to make a trail mix. We’ll give you an ingredient list, but really, throw whatever your heart desires in the mix!
- 1 cup cashews, peanuts, or almonds
- ¾ cup raisins, craisins, dried cherries, or dried apricots
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¾ sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ cup popcorn
- ½ cup coconut flakes or banana chips for added sweetness
Put everything in a container, give it a good stir or shake, and you have the perfect healthy snack that’ll satisfy your salt cravings and your sweet tooth. Double or triple this recipe and store it in the pantry to last for a few days of snacking.
For ways to get involved with roller skating at Wheels Skating Center or to learn more, Contact Us.
The holidays are here and it’s time to check some gifts off your list! If you have any skaters in your life, these are some ideas that are sure to delight. In fact, if you love to skate, you might even want to consider sending a link to this blog to your own personal “Santa!”
Here are some holiday gift ideas for skaters:
- New Skates – A new pair of skates is sure to be a hit. For the newest skates, check out Riedell and Southeastern Skate Supply for the latest catalogs and then contact our Pro Shop for help with sizing and current availability.
- Stocking Stuffers – Of course, you don’t always have to go as big as new skates. There are also lots of little stocking stuffers your skater is sure to love too. New wheels or bearings are always appreciated by serious skaters!
- Accessories – Skating is better with a little style. Socks, laces, or even a little skating-themed jewelry makes for a great gift idea for a skater.
- Skate Art – Deck the halls with roller skates! Art is a wonderful gift idea, and there are lots of great skating-themed pieces available online.
- Time with You! – Sometimes the best gifts are experiences, not things! Planning a day out together at Wheels Skate Center is a great unique gift idea for your favorite skating partner.
So visit our Pro Shop today to find the perfect gift for the skater in your life. Or even better yet, check out our holiday hours and make plans to visit our Odenton skating center with them!
Roller skating is great for every occasion and a big holiday party is no exception! At Wheels Skate Center in Odenton, Maryland, we’ve got the some seriously awesome party options for offices, schools, families, scouts, church functions and more this holiday season.
Check out what we have going on throughout the season of giving and then roll by to book your own private party today!
Planning a Private Party is Easy
Are you part of a PTA, public or private school? Our skating center has a party package for you. The best part about throwing a party with us is that you never have to worry about setting up or cleaning up. Book your private party and let us take care of the rest. It’s as simple as that.
Our group rates start out as low as $195 for schools and $250 for other organized groups.
Holiday Birthday Coming Up?
Celebrating a birthday during the holiday season can be tricky. You don’t want the holidays overshadowing your little one’s special day. At Wheels, we make sure the spotlight is on your birthday child. Our birthday party packages include admission and skate rentals, soda, pizza, a party hostess and much more. Check out all the perks by visiting our website or stopping by for a warm up skate!
No matter what the occasion, we have a great time in store for you and your friends. Office Christmas parties have never been better and fundraisers for your school will have you funded and feeling good. Book your party today!
It can be hard to get kids excited about learning. That why sometimes it is a good idea to teach kids using fun activities that they’re already interest in. That’s why National STEM Day is a great day to take your kids roller skating in Odenton!
National STEM Day, held annually on November 8th, was created to help teach children about science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (commonly referred to as STEM fields). You see, many of the fastest growing occupations in the United States are STEM careers. This means that fostering a love of and interest in STEM fields can give your children a huge advantage in life. Unfortunately, the US’s STEM education is falling behind compared to that of other industrialized countries. Globally, US students rank roughly in the middle based on our children’s science, math, and reading scores.
Teaching STEM with roller skating is a perfect way to get your kids excited about learning.
Physics in roller skating is very important. Friction, acceleration, velocity, inertia, and centrifugal force are all vital components of roller skating. Accelerating, stopping, and moving are all only possible on roller skates because of physics. This makes roller skating a wonderful opportunity to teach your children about the importance of STEM.
So check out our hours and make your plans to visit our Odenton skating center in observance of National STEM Day. You and your family will get some great exercise, have tons of fun, and you will be helping foster a love of STEM fields in your kids!
At Wheels Skate Center, our goal is to bring you the most fun in a family-friendly environment possible. With that in mind, what’s more fun than Halloween? If you’re anything like us you love dressing up in outlandish costumes, celebrating a night filled with friendship and even getting into a little mischief.
And if that’s your definition of a perfect Halloween here in Odenton, Maryland, we’ve got you covered! Here are a few great tips and tricks for enjoying your Halloween night in a safe and memorable way!
You’re Never Too Old
A lot of you might think Halloween is for the little ones, but we are here to tell you that this magical, imaginative holiday can keep you young at heart. Our first tip is to for a memorable Halloween is to have fun! Embrace your inner child by dressing up in coordinating costumes with your kids, friends or family. When groups coordinate costumes, everyone feels like part of the fun and is immediately in a partying mood!
Another huge tip is to plan your costume and your activity early. Waiting until the last minute to put your costume together can have disastrous effects. We’re not suggesting you have to sew something together from scrap starting weeks or months in advanced, but coming up with an idea, spreading the word, getting your outfit early and planning out the activities well ahead of time will make your night so much less stressful.
Skip Trick or Treating and Do Something Fun!
Avoid all the extra calories and dental bills by doing something together as a group like skating rather than trick or treating. Skipping out on trick or treating can lead to amazing fun that you never even considered!
We always have a howling good time on Halloween here at Wheels and you’ll even get in better shape because roller skating is so good for you! Give us a call today to find out what kind of ghoulish fun we have in store for you this October 31st!
Wondering what National Roller Skating Month is all about? National Roller Skating Month is held every October in order to promote the sport of skating, connect people with their friendly local skating center, and get more people to enjoy the fun and health benefits of skating!
Skating is an outstanding way to get in shape. As a low impact exercise, it’s perfect for young kids and most older adults as well! Teaching your kids to skate is a great way to foster the habits that will lead to a lifetime of fitness. Skating is also a great exercise because rink skating is perfect for rainy days and cold weather! And of course, skating is social, fun, and family friendly.
So how can you and your family celebrate National Rolling Skating Month? It’s simple! Come to Wheels Skate Center for one of our open skating sessions or book a party today! You can also take advantage of one (or more!) of our many weekly Odenton events. We offer an Adult Nite every Tuesday and a family-friendly Dollar Nite on Wednesdays. If you have young children ages 10 or under, our Saturday Morning Kids Fun Time is perfect!
Don’t worry if you or your children don’t know how to skate – we have a Beginner Skate Class every Tuesday from 6:00-7:00 pm. This is an all ages, drop-in class. Admission is only $5.00 and each class includes a quad skate rental. It’s a great (and inexpensive) way to learn to skate.