- Get Together with Friends – Just because school is out, doesn’t mean you should lose touch with your friends. Make it a point to spend time with your friends so that you’ll have some new stories to share when school starts back up. Our Odenton skating center is the perfect place to catch up with even very large groups of friends.
- Get off the Couch – Skating is a wonderfully effective way to tone up, cross train, and build endurance. If you play a sport during the school year, you don’t want to lose all your conditioning by chilling with Netflix all summer. Skating is a great way to get a cardio and muscle-building workout that will keep you nimble for your sport of choice, but is also low-impact so you’re not stressing your joints in the off season. Skating also burns roughly the same number of calories as jogging (but without the joint stress).
- Bond with Your Siblings – Being stuck inside with your siblings can lead to headbutting sometimes, but really summer’s a great time to get to know your siblings a little bit better while you’re both out of school. Get out of your house and do something fun with your siblings and you might be surprised how much fun you have together.
Summer is almost here, and school is almost out! This is an exciting time for children, so why not celebrate with them by planning an end of the school year party? You’re sure to make summer special by hosting your party at Wheels Skate Center and here’s why:
- An End of Year Party Helps Build Healthy Relationships – The end of school can be bittersweet. Summer is fun, but not seeing your friends regularly can be a drag. That’s why starting the summer off with a party is such a good way to keep your child in touch with their friends while engaging in a fun, physical activity!
- Skating is Perfect for All Ages – It can be hard to keep up with a growing child’s ever changing interests, but skating is a fun activity that has been loved by children of all ages for nearly a hundred years.
- Kids Love Music – Music makes the party, and thanks to our DJ, you won’t have to worry about picking the right tunes for your party.
- The Party Doesn’t Quit – At Wheels, your end of the school year party is just the beginning thanks to our Odenton skating summer camps! Our summer camps allow your child to keep the skating fun going all summer.
To start your child’s summer off with a bang, contact us at (410) 674-9661 for more information about hosting an end of the year shindig at our Odenton party venue. And don’t forget to check out our calendar for more fun Odenton summer events, including our summer camps!
- Work is Stressful – Work is hard. That’s why it’s called WORK. It’s easy to get so worn down by the daily grind that you don’t take care of yourself. Sometimes sleeping in is great, but you also have to make sure to schedule time for activities that are exciting, fun, and new.
- Your Kids Are Bouncing off the Walls – Kids are a lot of work! Taking care of kids and all their excess energy is a surefire way to drain all of your energy. Participating in a fun activity (that doesn’t involve chasing little people around for hours on end) is necessary for your mental and physical health.
- You Know You Need a Break – Over doing it isn’t good for anyone or anything. Overworking leads to decreased productivity and burn out, so take yourself a break!
- Life’s Too Short to Not Make Time for Fun – If you’re not having a little fun every now and again then what’s the point? You don’t really need an excuse to treat yourself with a night away from all the monotony and stress, so go out there and have some fun!
Our Odenton skating rink is the perfect place to treat yourself! Skating is a unique, fun, low-impact activity that melts away stress. So check out our hours and upcoming Odenton events and make plans to treat yourself to a night out.
What is the first thing you think about when you hear “skating rink”? If you thought “children’s birthday,” then you are like most parents. Did you know there is so much more fun to be had at Wheels besides birthday parties?
For our new mothers that are tired of walking the same cul-de-sac every day with the stroller, come to our weekly stroll-n-roll every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9-10 a.m.. This is a great way to not only change your scenery, but also meet and chat with other new moms around the area.
For our parents that need a night out or our child-free roller skaters, we have adults only skate sessions every Tuesday from 7:30 until 9:30 p.m.. This is a time to get your friends together and just get away for a few hours of fun.
We also have weekly open skates and lessons for anyone trying to improve their roller skating ability.
Something unique to Wheels Skate Center is that we not only host several roller skating tournaments and championships throughout the year, but we also have our own competitive roller skating team. The roller skating team practices twice a week and participates in various tournaments throughout the year. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you or your child may be interested in participating.
Earlier, we said we don’t only do birthdays, but when we do them, they are awesome! Check out our website for more information on birthday parties at Wheels. We have different package options, time slots and a bunch of awesome surprises for the guest of honor and your party guests.
If you are still wishing for some fun, check out our full monthly schedule here. We hope we’ve debunked any misconceptions you may have had about roller rinks being “birthday parties only”!
Skating is a wonderful activity for the whole family. It’s a low impact exercise, so it’s a great activity for the young and old. Of course, teaching very young children to skate can be tricky, but with a little extra attention, children as young as 3 can learn to skate with relative ease.
Here are some tips to teaching young children how to skate:
- Be Patient – This one is probably a given for anyone with young children, but it’s worth mentioning. Skating on the rink can be intimidating for a small child, especially when they’re surrounded by much bigger people going much faster.
- Start with the Basics – When we say “basics,” we mean it. Try starting with falling and safely getting up. Most people don’t think of falling as something to teach, but once a child is comfortable safely falling and getting up, there’s much less for them to worry about.
- Get Help from the Professionals – Our Odenton skating lessons are designed for skaters of all ages and abilities. Children still learning to skate will fit right in at our Beginner Classes, which focus on teaching basic skills like balancing on skates, proper posture, roller skating safety, how to start and stop, and how to skate forward and backward. Skaters who have mastered these basics can move onto our Intermediate Class, which teaches how to roll on one foot, crossing, how to turn forward to backward and vice versa, and even basic figure skating and dance skating moves.
Our skating lessons are held each Tuesday from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The cost is only $5.00 and includes a quad roller skate rental. For more information about our Odenton skating lessons (or our private Advanced skating lesson), contact us at (410) 674-9661!
- Explore the National Wildlife Visitor Center – Just because school is out doesn’t mean that your kids can’t learn something! The National Wildlife Visitor Center has a ton of wonderful things to do both indoors and outdoors. There are dozens of miles of trails which are great for horseback riding, hiking, and bike riding. Inside there are also lots of wonderful interactive environmental exhibits.
- Visit Be With Me: The Children’s Playseum – This is a cool book and toy store for children, but it is also an amazing experience for families, as the whole place is designed like a child-sized city. It’s a great way to spend the afternoon with your child, and a great place to pick up a new book to read together for a little spring break reading.
- Skate at Wheels Skate Center – Our Odenton skate center is the perfect place to spend your child’s spring break! Not only is skating fun for all ages, but skating also makes for an amazing exercise. Children are used to daily PE and recess, so without their normal scheduled physical activities, it’s easy to just spend the day on the couch watching TV. But thankfully, skating is the perfect remedy for being cooped up inside all day!
We have found some epic pictures from roller skating throughout the years. What are your favorite memories surround roller skating? Many people remember racing friends or siblings down hills, streets, or around a cul-de-sac while on roller skates. Even with helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads you probably got your fair share of cuts and bruises.
- Choose a venue with built-in entertainment – Why worry about coming up with games or booking performers when you can host a party with the entertainment built right in? Our Odenton roller skating parties are a hit with groups of all ages, from small gatherings to blowout birthdays.
- Give your guests plenty of notice – 3-4 weeks is standard for casual events, but if your party is going to take place around a holiday weekend, send invitations a little earlier. If you wait too close to the date, your guests may already have plans.
- Go the extra mile with a theme – Who doesn’t love a theme party? If you’re planning a skate party here at Wheels, you can’t go wrong with a retro roller disco party. 70s, 80s, or 90s costumes are easy for guests to pull together from their own closets or the local thrift store.
- Share the memories – Don’t let an Instagram-ready event pass without some great photos to remember it by! Create a hashtag like #LeslieKSweet16 or #RonTurns50 and make sure to print it on the invitations, tell your guests, and even make some signs to put on the party tables. That way they can tag their pictures of the event and you can see all the fun moments in one place.
So the next time you’re planning a party and need a fun and original Odenton party venue, we’ve got you covered at Wheels Skate Center. And even if you’re not planning a party, we have lots of upcoming Odenton events for you. Contact us at (410) 674-9661 for more information about planning a special event at Wheels Skate Center!
Valentine’s Day is almost here, and if you’re in a relationship you may be looking for date ideas. Whether on Valentine’s Day or any day, the best dates don’t depend on a big budget, fancy dress, or dozens of roses. What makes a date special is choosing something that will be memorable … which is why skate dates are a hit!
Avoid the Same Old Things
When looking for Odenton date ideas, avoid the same old tired of ideas. Dinner and a movie has been done to death. It’s simply not special anymore. Valentine’s Day dinner at a restaurant is always too crowded anyways. Often it’s expensive, it takes too long, there are too many people, and sometimes you even have to contend with a disappointing prix fixe menu.
Think Outside the Box
Instead of the same old same old, plan something original! A skating date at your local Odenton skating center is the perfect Valentine’s Day date idea.
Skating is a fun and unique activity, which many people haven’t done since they were kids. That means it’s a great way to add a little nostalgia to your night. A skating rink has the perfect atmosphere for a really romantic date. Just think of you and your special someone spending time together listening to your favorite romantic songs in a dark room full of beautiful twinkling lights while skating to the music. Skating is also a great excuse to hold hands!
We hope you have enjoyed some time with your families and are getting back into the daily routine. Our 2019 weekly routine has been updated and is up on our calendar.
Our activities include open skate, adult skate, dollar night, kid fun times and more. Every Tuesday is Adult Night, every Wednesday is Dollar Night, and Saturday mornings are when we hold our kid fun times. There are also special events, classes and more throughout the month, so make sure to check back.
We also have a licensed before and after school childcare program that opens at 6:15 a.m. and closes at 6:15 p.m. If you are interested in more information on our childcare program, please contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions.
We also have great birthday and group party rates for 2019! So whether you are trying to find something different for your child’s birthday or you want a fun, carefree Mother’s Night Out, we have options for everyone.
If you or your child wants to pick up a fun new hobby, we are offering skate classes through 2019. We have weekly classes as well as drop ins. If your New Year’s resolution was to pick up a new hobby or try something new, classes are only $5.00 per person, so there is no excuse not to drop by.
Whatever the occasion or just an excuse to get out of the house, Wheels Skate Center is ready to join in on the fun. We are ready to roll through 2019 with you, so skate on over and see what we have to offer this year.